Everybody loves Jerk, its the meal people ask me to cook for them most often. And the recipe everyone wants to see. Even though Jamie Oliver is out here selling Jerk rice *Laughs out loud*, in order to make Jerk you need a Jerk pan and meat! In my opinion, Jerk has three key elements Scotch Bonnet, Pimento (All-spice) and the method of cooking. All of this is to say the recipe I’m about to give you is not Jerk Chicken but it takes inspiration and borrows some of those flavours to make something delicious and easy to make.
We already spoke a little bit about the history of Jerk, check out that blog here. But this dish has a different history. One that dates back to around 2009 in my kitchen. I was 12, and fell in love with all the Jerk flavours I discovered in Jamaica. I didn’t have a Jerk pan and England was far too cold to be outside on the BBQ (this was pre-global warming madness). However, I did have an imagination and I knew what Jerk tasted like to me, so I went to work. The product was so good, I was cooking for every church, family and community gathering. I never wrote the recipe down, I refused to share it with anyone but today I’m going to share it with all of you!
Also, as it’s nearly I though I’d give you all a little gift, a bonus recipe… the best coleslaw you ever tasted. Enjoy!
- 600g Chicken
- 1 Lemon
- All-purpose Seasoning
- 1 Onion
- 5 Cloves of Garlic
- 1 Tomato
- 1/2 Scotch Bonnet
- Pimento or allspice
- 50ml BBQ sauce
- 200ml Water
- 2 tbsp Honey
- Squeeze your lemon over the chicken and rub it down in the juice this will help get rid of any raw flavours.
- Cover the chicken in a generous dash of all-purpose seasoning.
- Put this chicken in the oven and let it cook until it’s golden brown in colour (30 – 35 minutes)
- Finely chop your tomato, onion, scotch bonnet and garlic
- Heat a frying pan to a medium heat and add your tomato, onion and garlic
- Cook them for 4-6 minutes until the onions have caramelised.
- Add your BBQ sauce, honey and water
- Add your pimento, thyme and scotch bonnet then cover your pan and leave it to simmer for 15 minutes
- Once your chicken is brown you’re going to add your sauce to the chicken, pour it, brush it, throw it whatever your style is.
- Pro Tip – save a little sauce to add to the chicken once you’ve served up
- Let it cook for another 20 minutes.
- BOOM! There you have it, NOT Jerk Chicken!
- 1/2 Green Cabbage
- 1 Red Sweet Pepper
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 2 Carrots
- 3 Chilli Peppers
- 1/2 Mango
- 1 tsp Honey
- 100g 0% Greek Yoghurt
- 20g Extra Light Mayonnaise
- Salt and Black Pepper (to taste)
- Thinly slice your cabbage, pepper, onion and chillies and then add them into a large mixing bowl
- Grate your carrots and add them to the bowl as well
- Cut your mango into small chunks
- Then add the honey, yoghurt and mayonnaise
- It’s time to get your hands dirty, get in there and mix it around
- Add salt and pepper to taste and maybe even some hot sauce (if you’re brave enough)
Let me know in the comments if you want to see the macros and I will update the post and add that in for you all.
This one is for all of you that struggle in the kitchen and everyone who wants something that’s nice and easy to make. So get cooking and let me know how you get on. Also, comment your ideas for what I should call this I feel like this dish needs a name so let me know.
I’m in the process of improving the blog, so expect more regular content… more recipes, more fitness advice, more Flava! Make sure you’re following the blog on Instagram, Facebook and by email so you can stay up to date!
Peace and Love,